Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Brew Review - Boulevard Dark Truth Stout

My parents taught me complaining will get you nowhere. Deal with it and move forward. Yesterday, I found that complaining can get you everywhere if expressed properly. Boulevard was releasing their latest Smokestack offering so I stopped by the local liquor store to grab two bottles. Arriving, I saw the delivery driver loading Smokestack cases back onto the truck. Weird. I went inside and saw no new Boulevard brews, cases or displays in the usual section. Disappointed, I grabbed a bottle of Unearthly IPA I’ve been meaning to try for some time. 


I have made a steady stream of purchases lately and the manager was well aware of it. He and the delivery driver were at the register. I asked about not getting the Dark Truth in today. He said it wasn’t on the order invoice and was delivered by accident. Annoyed, I hit him with, “Oh, I thought you guys were usually first in line with the new ones.” Turning to the delivery driver, I asked, “Who DID order it today so I can go there?” The manager quickly interrupted, called his boss, and asked the delivery driver to grab the "accidental" cases. The driver handed me two bottles with a smirk on his face. I’m not patting myself on the back or anything, but I am definitely going to consider complaining more often. If you happen to shop at the same location, you're welcome. Cheers!

Serving Type: Bottle (750 ml)
Glassware: Pinot Noir Glass
Color (hue and head): Deep and dark with dirty, frothy head. Slowly settles to consistent, thin tan lace across the top.
Clarity: abyssal
Aroma: sweet and smoky
Taste: Bakers chocolate, cinnamon spices, rich malt. Hints rye and roasted coffee. Warm and lingering finish.
Grade: 91/100 (A-)
Musical pairing: Dark, sensual and loving, yet brooding, deliberate and powerful - Portishead – Glory Box
Surroundings: Couching it, working, wife out of town, Band of Brothers on the tube.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had some vanilla ice cream and a brownie in the fridge. Would have been perfect.

    ReplyDelete