Friday, February 26, 2010

Brew Review - Boulevard Rye-on-Rye

I had hoped to wait for my partner in crime (Yum! Beer) to join me in this effort, but my wife was out of town. The environment of working on the laptop in front of the Olympics was too well suited for expansion of the taste spectrum. I work in IT, which can be quite monotonous. Flavorful libations and working late have a nasty habit of forming a symbiotic relationship with each other on the couch (ESPECIALLY when the wife is away). I guess I didn’t need someone to twist my arm, so I proceeded to the local beverage dealer. With tractor beam precision, I found myself standing before a stack of Boulevard Smokestack Series cases, not remembering how I had gotten there. Jedi mind trick or my survival instinct fighting to balance the work play ratio? Either way, I picked up two bottles and made a fast exit.

Upon opening, I was inundated with light, aromatic craft brew flavor. I pulled my favorite chardonnay glass from the rack and poured a handsome serving, cresting with a thick and creamy head. The perfume of the pour was light and lively; the brew seemed to flaunt its reddish amber and deeply opaque appearance. I couldn't decide if it was malt or hops giving off the enticing scent, so I moved in for a closer test. The aroma was light, easy on the nose, and malty more that hoppy, but only by a hair. I decided to dive in. Expecting a malty, sweet finish, I was happily introduced to fairer play on the tongue. The flavor was rich and energetic, with exceptional balance. Clean finish with minimal aftertaste (hint of hop), creating a thirst for more.

Making its way across the palate nicely, the Rye on Rye begs for another sip. At 11%, I definitely needed to slow my roll if I planned on performing my normal salary-based activities, soberly. I saw my hand making a slow, but deliberate movement away from the laptop and toward my music collection…and I let it. Immediately, I felt The Walkmen emanating my now brew riddled veins. I threw on their first album, Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone, frantically searching for “Wake Up.” Once satisfied with my lyrical surroundings, plowing through anything work related didn't seem so tough. The Rye on Rye could easily promote the ideal of working late on the couch more often.

Serving Type: Bottle (750 ml)
Glassware: Chardonnay Glass
Color (hue and head): Reddish Amber with creamy, ivory head
Clarity: full, deep, opaque, cloudy
Aroma: grainy, malty, semi sweet, lighter aroma than expected.
Taste: balanced, rich, energetic, light hop, slight malt, clean (whiskey) finish, minimal aftertaste.
Grade: 94/100 (A)
Musical pairing: The Walkmen - Wake Up
Surroundings: Couching it, working, listening to music, wife out of town.

4 comments:

  1. I was forced to try Rye-on-Rye last night at Blanc during their happy hour, and let me tell you - wow. Outstanding beer and I agree fully with liquidsunshine's review above.

    For those of you in the KC area, please go out and get this beer immediately. The whiskey isn't overpowering but the cleanliness of the rye kept me wanting more. For me this instantly became my second favorite Boulevard beer (behind Saison-Brett, of course), it's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually not a big fan of the whiskey/scotch beers, but this one sounds like it's worth trying.

    Hopefully Binny's has it in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jom, I highly doubt it because I don't believe Boulevard distributes outside of Missouri/Kansas. I've read a few interviews with John McDonald (co-founder) who has stated that there is still room to grow in Missouri/Kansas, whereas in other states they'd be going up against other breweries like Boulevard who'd be on their home turf. We'll see...my belief is that their beers are so high quality as a whole that on taste alone they'd be able to compete against a Goose Island if they entered the Chicago market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jom, found this online grocer that will sell some, but not all of Boulevard's beers.

    http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departments/Beer/browse.cfm?action=browse&method=prodname&arg=B

    Or you can buy me some beers if I ever make it back to Chicago and I'll bring you a couple of bottles.

    ReplyDelete