Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Brew Review - Rogue Chocolate Stout


A “wise” man once said, “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams”. That semi-creepy man also happened to be a great purveyor of chocolate and the possessor of both a Wonkenator and a farty bubble machine. There are no additional jokes in me saying that my first thought upon initial sip of the Rogue Chocolate Stout was seriously of poor Augustus Gloop, who met his end as he attempted to further his downward spiral into Diabetes.

I’ve always had a fond place in my heart for Rogue, but this beer kind of shocked me – possibly because I’m a relative new comer to the Stout genre. The smell was so hardcore chocolate that I literally thought it might be too “dessert-y”…mix in a bit of caramel and coffee and this was one step away from a brownie. The taste was a good balance of roasted malts, morning coffee, and chocolate aftertaste. As is important with stouts, the tongue coating was great and long lasting meaning I enjoyed the aftertaste for awhile between gulps. Rogue = awesomeness.

Is it weird that both Willy Wonka and Johnny Cash were the first two things that popped into my head when drinking the Chocolate Stout? Is it coincidence that Rogue, W Squared, and JC are all icons in their own right? I think not, I’ll thank you for asking. My first thoughts were of the darker material that peppered Cash’s later works, during which he was in bad health and mourning the death of June Carter Cash. “Ain’t no Grave” from American VI was the final material that he recorded with Rick Rubin (coolest white dude...ever) before his death. Much like the beer itself, Cash’s voice, tone, and sound all point to something infinitely dark and oppressive, yet the lyrics themselves are light and spiritual. This beer, based on color, smell, and consistency represents something dark...a true stout - Yet, the aftertaste points to something much less ominous and much more pure. The end result of many of Johnny Cash’s masterpieces.

Prost!

Serving Type: Bottle
Glassware: Boulevard Smokestack Series Goblet
Color (hue and head): Black as night with a tan 1 inch head
Clarity: Ink
Aroma: hardcore chocolate with caramel tones, thick, all in the nose (even my nose)
Taste: roasted malts, coffee with a thick chocolately aftertaste…good tongue coating
Grade: 91 (A-)
Musical pairing: All that needs to be said: Johnny Cash – “Ain’t no Grave”
Surroundings: Your ma’s house

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the review and kind words! since I work for Rogue and happen to be on the label of this beer I blog about it, so check out my blog for pairing notes, recipes, press, and some of the events where its being served ~ www.RogueChocolateStout.com
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure there wasn't more room in your nose? I mean, hey, it's YOUR nose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rogue Advocate...so glad you could make it to our blog and check it out. That's got to be some kind of feeling to have your mug on a bottle of beer that brings us and others so much joy. I've added your blog so we can keep up to date on your and Rogue's activities!

    Also, yes my nose is large...but it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete