Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Brew Review - Avery Salvation


A bold SAT analogy:

“Avery Brewing Company is to craft beer as Michael Jordan was to the NBA”

Before you accuse me of failing the SAT’s, hear me out…Just like Michael Jordan didn’t “save” the NBA (Bird and Magic did because Bill Simmons told me so), Avery hasn’t “saved” the craft beer market. What MJ23 did do, besides burn our retinas with “Space Jam”, was revolutionize the NBA and make it the global brand we see today (he also jacked up salaries, gambled a ton, and made Mario Mendoza look like Ted Williams, but those are stories for a different day). In the same breath, Avery, by consistently putting out delicious brews, is helping lead the movement of the moderately-sized craft breweries to legitimize the craft beer industry and push innovation and overall quality in the American beer we know and love. Competition breeds excellence after all.

Salvation pours a slightly cloudy, golden orange with about a half inch of white head and smells delicious. Not overpowering, but slight hops, citrus, and sugar…AKA right in my “wheel house”. The taste followed the smell closely and I was presented with an overall good Belgian that I would drink without hesitation in the future. I don’t know why I act shocked the more Avery I expose myself to, but I walked away with yet another excellent Boulder, CO birthed beer.

Surfer Blood = the future. My knowledge of Surfer Blood occurred only because they opened for the British band Art Brut (“Ready, Art Brut!!!”) at Lincoln Hall in Chicago last October. I can confidently say that pounding Guinness, listening to two wildly different Indie bands changed my musical life – SB’s Astrocoast album has been in my and Beautiful’s rotations ever since. These young West Palm Beachians make mellow, smart, nostalgic Indie music that seems above their years and at the same time makes me feel bad about myself due to my realized lack of talent in anything musical (with the exception of the Recorder). Take a listen to “Twin Peaks” immediately.


ENJOY!

Serving Type: Bottle
Glassware: Boulevard Smokestack Series Goblet
Color (hue and head): Golden orange, with a small white head
Clarity: slightly cloudy
Aroma: gentle citrus notes and sugary notes
Taste: citrus, slight sugar notes, very slight hop finish...good Belgian overall
Grade: 89 (B+)
Musical pairing: Soft and lazy melodies yet great music overall…Surfer Blood – “Twin Peaks"
Surroundings: “Rocking” with Beautiful and enjoying the Jamaican Jerk pizza from Ingredient

No comments:

Post a Comment