Thursday, April 29, 2010

Brewfest - KC Beerfest

May 22nd is coming fast. The KC Beerfest only 4 weeks away and scheduled perfectly on the heels of the Parkville Microbrewfest. I feel as if I was warming up my taste buds for the next round. With a national/international lineup of Laquanitas, Bear Republic, Ommegang, Great Divide, Dieu du Ciel (Montreal), Karmeliet (Belgium), Mikkeller (Denmark), and of course Boulevard and Free State, I'll be in brew heaven...well, after I bribe St. Peter with a $25 fee to let me through the gates.


Of course, with brewers from all over the nation, we can only assume the distributors and reps of many labels will be running the tasting tents. Yes, I understand this is a "beerfest" and not a "microbrewfest," but I believe in having a reputable resource of knowledge providing the tasting of the brews. I'm not saying that all beer reps are lacking in the knowledge department, but there's something to show when a brewery has actually employees explaining the fruits of their labor. I'm not referring to the "John.Q. I know everything there is to know about this beer" rep, but the one who is more concerned with how the brew gets you drunk vs how it tastes, how it's made, how it's different.

I can hear my pal, Yum,Beer!, explaining to me, "Imbibiliciousness, you're being so negative." Well, I don't mean to be so negative, but as I peruse the list of expected tasting tent tenants and run across the likes of Ed Hardy Beer and Heineken USA, I can't deny the picture of a 23 yr old kid in the latest Affliction outfit trying to explain the subtle nuances of the latest bud water 55 commercial. When his counterpart female states, ''that's so hot right now," I give the stink- eye and move on.

All in all, the festivities will be great, the people will be friendly, and the brew will flow steadily. I look forward to posting some of the more personable/intimate tasting notes to the blog and to seeing all of you there...except when I give you the stink eye. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment